Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Interviews Can Be A Piece Of Cake

If you're like many of us you have gone on aleast one interview in your life, and if you haven't you will one day (unless you're super lucky). Interviewing can be stressful and cause many of us anxiety. The more interviews you go on, the easier it gets, but lets face it we all worry about them. From my own personal experiences with interviewing, I hate them, but I love them. It's like going on a blind date you don't know who you will meet, at the same time this could be a life changing moment for you. So just how can you get over the anxiety and stress of interviewing? Well for me, I notice that usually I'm more confident when I interview for a job of a field I'm experienced in or that relates to my degree. I've never worked in a doctors office as an assistant. Therefore, chances are you won't find me seeking an assistant position in a doctors office. This doesn't mean you can't take chances, and every position you seek to get you've gotta have experience within that field. However, all I'm saying is if I have no interest whatsoever in a certain position nor experience, I'm not going to bother trying to get it. When you interview for a job you want and are familiar with, it really makes you more motivated and confident. I try to go into every interview prepared and comfortable. This means wearing clothing that I feel relaxed in, but at the same time is suitable for the position I'm trying to get. When the person interviewing me questions me, I try to answer truthfully and to the best of my knowledge. Trust me you don't want to lie during an interview, I've done it before,and people can sense when you're lying. You stumble upon your words, you ask for the question to be repeated, and you take a long time answering. It doesn't look good. Usually, I try to ask the interviewer questions as well, like how do they like working for the company, what challenges do I have to look forward to facing if I get the position, etc. This takes the heat off of me, and makes the interviewer have to think, so they don't just sit, and grill me the whole time. Being down to earth is probably the best advice I could give. People know when you're being yourself. Think about how many people the human resources department or hiring manager interviews. They can tell when someone is being fake. If you're not being yourself, the answers you give them they will have heard a thousand times before. We are all unique in our own special way, and that's really what we have to bring to the table at interviews uniqueness. Don't be afraid to take charge of the interview, and sound like you already have the position. If you want a job go in there and take it, and don't let the person sitting in front of you, asking a thousand questions intimidate you. Remember, they had to go through the same process to get where they are sitting, and that tough attitude some of them possess is just a front to hide their insecurities. Interviewers know what it feels like, and just like you're nervous so are they. Look the person interviewing you in the eye at all times. This shows them you aren't scared or wasting their time and you mean business. To all who will interview....good luck, and don't forget nothing stands in the way of you getting a job you want but yourself.

No comments: