Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Save That Change

One of the greatest tips I could ever give anyone is to save money. Now if you're like me you probably like to spend money just as fast as you get it. However, there will come a day and trust there will when you'll experience a rainy day. A year ago I started collecting spare change I found around my house, in my purse, car, clothes, wherever I could possibly think change might be. When I started off I only had a little box of change, but a year later the box was full. Throughout, that year of saving I found much use for the change I was saving. My nephew would come to visit me, and he would always ask me if he could have some money to buy treats at lunch or to purchase something at the bookstore. Now, while I could have reached into my purse or pockets to fork him over some cash, I instead would pull out the box of change. My nephew was fascinated over all the change (especially the quarters). I would let him reach in the box and grab some change, and he'd be so thrilled. The box of change came in handy when I wanted to grab a morning juice, before work, or buy a snack for lunch. So, I'm sure you're asking yourself right now how did you save change if you were using it at the same time. The key was that I didn't always go into the box of change, I only used it when I really needed to. Whenever, I spotted even a penny anywhere I'd grab it and throw it in the box. By saving change I would also help myself save money, because I'm not using new earned cash everytime I want to give my nephew money or buy a newspaper, snack, etc. Remember, you can always save up change and go to the bank and cash it in for money. When my sister got married she and her husband took a cruise. She had been saving her change, and right before they left she cashed in the saved change and used the money to take on their honeymoon. You really can do whatever you want with the change you save. I think the thing to remember is change is money. Don't get discouraged if you're not saving as quickly as you'd like the key is patience. The more your change begins to mutiply the easier saving it gets.

No comments: